CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

May 11 - May 12 Flight Extravaganza


The first thing I saw in London... The bathroom The view from my window

I decided a few things about airplanes.

1. Flight Attendants are rude and don’t listen to you
2. Gross airplane food + high altitudes = bad, bad heartburn for Corissa
3. American men wear grungy sweats on planes, British men wear button down shirts, slacks, and matching oxford shoes (and manage to not gain one wrinkle on their finely-pressed shirts while sleeping on a 10 hour flight).
4. Corissa and airplanes do not mix. Period.

The first flight from SLC to Denver was easy breezy, although a little crowded. It was only about an hour long. We then waited for 2 more hours to board our London-Heathrow plane. Everyone decided to get something to eat, but all I wanted was some ice cream. I found a place, and got some cookie dough ice cream with hot fudge. MMMMM :)

The only problem is I… sorta spilled half of it on my seat and wallet…
I was so excited to finally get on the plane. And I tell you… that plane was huge! And first class is crazy! They have freaking lazy boy chairs with as many alcohol drinks your heart desires. I was so jealous. I got stuck in stinky economy class; I was the dirt’s dirt.
They did have these sweet movie screens though, and we got to choose between a number of movies. I tried to read at first, but my excitement kept distracting me. So in order to get my mind off my anxieties I choose to watch a movie. Bucket List was the only movie that worked at my TV. It was a really funny movie—but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It was funny, but it lacked in plot.

Anyway, away from that movie critique before I get too into it. During the movie we were served a nice dinner of manicotti, salad, a roll, and a brownie. Wow… I cannot eat on planes. When I stuck my fork into my pasta the plane went through a bad wind or something. The plane became really bouncy. And, of course, my fork flipped through the air and got spaghetti sauce all down my shirt. I panicked, cried out, and reached for the spill on my shirt. In my clumsiness I knocked over my apple juice in the process. I was so tired I started to laugh. Then the lady sitting next to me started laughing as well, reached over, and asked, “You are American, aren’t you?”

I wanted to stick my tongue out at her.
I couldn’t sleep on the plane either. I tried so hard, but once I finally got comfy and I was about to really fall asleep, the plane would bounce.
One of the TV stations showed a map of the world, and had a little airplane flying over the Atlantic Ocean. I got so sick of not being able to sleep, I finally succumbed to watching that little plane inch across the screen.

By the way Rebecca, I didn’t get any pictures of the Atlantic. I would have, but it was bright outside while everyone was sleeping.

When we finally landed I was thrilled. And oh my word… it is gorgeous here!! It actually reminds me a lot of San Francisco. The architecture is similar, and it is that same dirty feeling of an inner city. Now I know what it’s like to be stared at like you are out of place. We went to the supermarket, and everyone starred at me.

I’ve made a friend at the youth hostel. He is Scottish and has bright red hair. How did we become friends? Well… When I was sitting in the common room of the youth hostel waiting for Carma to check us in, he walked up to me, slapped me across the head, and said “Welcome to the UK, you little blondie American.” Yah… Weird, I know… but he’s cool. I also have another friend from south Africa. He is was cool, and all big and buff. Their accents are beautiful.


Anyway, I am having some major jet lag right now. I need sleep badly. I will update tomorrow. We are going to a lot of cool museums!


Love you all, sweet dreams.

2 comments:

Clive said...

Be careful with those red headed boys. I'm so proud and happy for you, what an experience. Climb out of your box and let things happen, well within standard that is. I miss you already.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Mom! I think I am feeling your excitement through the air! Remember what I told you about trusting strangers... Can't wait to hear more!