CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

May 26 and 27 – Adventures of the Dynamic Duo

First off I would like to apologize for not updating sooner. I know I freaked a few people out. And especially to you Dad… don’t worry! I have just been super tired, and avoiding a certain red-headed Irish boy named Andrew (remember him?). I will explain later…

I like being in London practically by myself a lot better. Hilary and I have had the independence to go explore parts of the city we haven’t been to. And the thing I love is that I know the tube system so well now I feel the confidence to go out and explore. I know that seems odd considering I don’t understand the streets at home, but don’t be too impressed. It is all color coated and a 3rd grader could figure it out.

On Monday it was Bank Holiday so nothing was really opened, so Hilary and I got on the tube that was running (only the Circle Line and Hammersmith Line and Half of the Piccadilly Line) and saw where it took us. It was also pouring rain outside the entire day. I swear, when it rains here it RAINS and it never stops!

We ended up getting off Liverpool Street Station-which is a little funny. That is the station we need to get off for the markets we are going to Thursday. I need to remember that, I have to lead the girls to Petticoat Lane.

The streets were empty, so I was really able to see the modern-business center of East London. It is quite different from where I am staying. Here in West London it’s full of old buildings. Hilary and I found a little café that happened to be open. I can’t remember what it was called… but I got Eggs Benedict and it was delicious. I don’t like their bacon here, though. It’s more like fatty, half cooked ham. And their restaurants are weird. When you walk in, no one seats you. You have to go sit down by yourself. And you don’t leave a tip. Also, they charge for water and they charge extra for ice. If you don’t ask for still water, they will give you club soda. You have to be very careful.

We stopped at the Theatre District and bought us tickets to Les Miserable. I am sooooo excited!! We are going to see it tomorrow evening. The tickets were 55 pounds, but I think 110 dollars is worth it for sure. The lady at the box office was a snob though and kept commenting on how weird our addresses were. Whatever, I’M GOING TO SEE LE MIS TOMORROW!!!

After that we found our way back home, made us dinner, packed our souvenirs in boxes, and went to bed.

Today we slept in, took our time to get ready, and slowly made our way to the London Zoo. When we got there, however, we found out it was 17 pounds. I was not about to pay 30 something dollars to see lions and giraffes. If it was cheaper I would have. Instead we walked around the zoo, and honestly we saw most of the animals that way.

After that we decided to get back to the hostel and be lazy.

Carma called us and said they were coming home tomorrow maybe. Who knows? I don’t mind the peace and quiet; they can stay there all they want.

Now, about Andrew… he is the boy that smacked me on the head the first day we were here. I thought he was from Scotland originally, but I have come to learn that he is indeed Irish. Now, this boy has taken a liking to me. And he has very outwardly expressed the fact that he is going to “de-mormon-ize” me by the time I leave London. He also likes to ask me questions about my religion, and then try to prove me wrong about it all.

Now don’t you folks at home worry, Ricky (the manager) knows about him, has told him to not talk to me or he will get kicked out, and I haven’t seen him in a few days. But the night Andrew cornered me and started pounding me with questions… that was scary. I was very confident in my answers, and I think he knew I was making sense about the whole “mormon” thing because he then started making fun of me to the rest of the people in the kitchen. Thankfully my three friends from South Africa told him to stop it and stood up for me, and Hilary was there to back me up and get me out of the situation. It’s so different here.

Now we just joke about me staying away from Andrew. When Carma called earlier she asked me if Andrew had kidnapped me yet. We can joke about it because we know he will never bother me again.

Tonight I made my friends from South Africa some PB&J’s. They never had them before! Crazy, huh!?

P.S. Scotland blog is below…

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corissa!!! I love you so much! I cant wait for you to get home. Oh, and you'll never guess. I GOT MY DISCHARGE DATE!!! June 6th is my last day at "school"! But really, I miss you so much. I know you hate it when I use you as my crying sholder but, boy I do have a lot to talk about! I need you so much. But I'm so glad that your off on your own, exploring Eroupe. I'm so happy for you. I love you. Have fun in London!

Love,
Becca