CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 15 - Swollen Feet





Photo 1 = "The Blondes" outside the House of Parliament
Photo 2 = Big Ben
Photo 3 = Me outside of Westminster Abbey (and I look like a goon!)
Alright, the computer situation has been figured out. We are all good and ready to go. I am no longer panicking.

Today was a blast, but my feet are killing me and I am sooo tired. I wonder if I will ever get used to this time zone, or if I will have jet lag for a month.

I still haven’t eaten blood pudding Dad. I did, however, have a Cornish Pasty (or is it Pastie?), and it was divine!! I also think I am finally starting to figure out the tube, but I still have no idea what direction is what yet here.

People really do not like us here. As soon as they hear my accent, realize I am American, and ask what state I am from, they brush me off. I think it’s really interesting they do that. Also people were camping outside the House of Parliament today protesting Bush and the War in Iraq. I laughed about that—even in England they protest Bush!!

The first thing we did today we go to Westminster Abbey. Once again, you can’t take pictures inside. I really wish I could have though. It is gorgeous outside, but as soon as you walk inside it’s a completely different feeling. It’s breath-taking. It’s a cathedral too, so there are glass-stained windows everywhere. It’s also full of marble statues carved right into the walls. And the tombs… oh my goodness, they are amazing!!

It’s a really eerie feeling to be surrounded by so many dead people. It was so strange, the air in there has a different feel to it and it’s hard to breath. That may be because there were a thousand other people in there—but I think the thought that it’s from all the history and dead you are surrounded by is a cooler explanation. Every corner and every nook is packed with either a coffin, or statue remembering someone. Even people are buried under you, so the floors are covered with “under here lays so-and-so”.
Some tombs are written in such old english, it is impossible to read who is laying there.

To think how old some of those coffins were (some were from 1000’s), and how many people were buried there—it’s so hard to fathom. I am so curious if there are spirits there. I have no doubt you can see many, many ghosts in that place. I was tempted to ask one of the clergymen that were floating around if they ever see spirits of kings or queens.

My favorite tombs/coffins:
Queen Elizabeth I
Mary Queen of Scots
Edward the Confessor
Jane Austen
Charles Darwin

Next we went to the House of Parliament. We didn’t get to see anything with the House of Lords; for some reason they wouldn’t let us. We did sit in on a debate with the House of Commons about Anti-Semitism. Honestly I was bored and I didn’t understand what was going on.

Sadly since I am American and cannot be trusted, I only got to see the front hall inside Parliament. That front hall was boring, empty, and only consisted of stone walls, a little tourist shop, and a line to wait in. I wish I could have seen more inside the building.

After that we could do as we pleased. So, of course, Nykole, Jana, Jessica and I went shopping! We figured out how to get to Piccadilly Circus via the tube. We went everywhere! My favorite store we went to was H&M. I bought me the cutest dress there; I can’t wait until I can get home and show it off.

Everyone in London wears silk scarves with their outfits. It’s a trend that hasn’t made it to the US yet, and I love it. I stopped at this little stand and bought me a few cute scarves (and a few for gifts as well). That way I can be ahead when I get home. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Mom: What's up with your nose? It looks like you have one of Dad's nose strips on it! Just teasing. I love the pics, and I can't believe you figured out the tube! I am glad your computer issue is resolved. You need to ask someone why they hate Americans so much. Take it from one who knows. When you are home put your feet up above your heart to get the swelling down. ;-) I am living vicarously through you right now. I can't wait to read your blogs every day. Love you tons! Mom

Bessie! said...

Bessie:Hey I love the pictures and in the third one you don't look like a goon! I hope you are having fun! I love you a ton and I hope you are having fun in England! I knew you would have go shopping! I love you a ton!:)
P.S.I loved the Big Ben picture!:)

Clive said...

Hey good looking. Find out why Brits hate us Americans so much. Rebecca has had the flu for the past few days as well as most of the kids in her school. Alishia, well... she Alisha. Bessie is just full of life. As for me, well... I'm as grumpy as ever. I bet you miss that. How much is it to take the tube? Speaking of that how are you do with your money?

Anonymous said...

Hey! love the pics! i never knew there was so much amazing stuff over there, it's wild, you're so lucky! dont be gettin homesick! the second you get back you're gonna be wishin you had two more months over there so make the best of it! lol they hate americans over there? i didnt know it was so bad! well gotta go, have fun k? email me, love ya much!