CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 19, 2008

May 17 - 19 - B.O. and Magnificance







Ah… Paris...

I have one thing to say prior to my tales of adventure—I wish I knew more French! It is not easy being somewhere that doesn’t speak the same language. Especially when you are trying to get somewhere. It was quite an experience, and I know I grew a lot from it.

The morning we left was only the beginning of a crazy, crazy weekend. We left the hostel at 2:45 am sharp to catch a bus. Diane had printed instructions to get there off the internet, but they soon proved to be confusing. We asked a few bus drivers if these were correct directions, and each told us differently. The few people (who were drunk) that were lagging around London at 3 am told us differently… we had no idea what to do. We finally began to wander the streets of London, desperately trying to figure out what to do. Finally we waved down this taxi.

He told us he wouldn’t take 9 girls in one cab, but Diane told him our situation and he thankfully agreed to pile us all in. He was a cool guy too, made jokes the whole way. We were all laughing the entire way.

When we got to the airport, security only permitted us one carry on. No purse, nothing. So we quickly shoved anything we could into every nook of each other’s purses. I don’t know how we did it, but we did and we made it to our flight barely on time.

When we first got to Paris we felt dazed and confused. French, everywhere… Suddenly all these French men came running to us saying, “You need ride? I have van.” We had no choice, so we found someone who spoke English, they confirmed those men worked with the airport and wouldn’t kidnap us, and we got in a van.

We arrived at our little villa, and we were taken away. It was gorgeous. It lay right along the river, and was secluded from the busy streets. When we got to the apartment we were all so tired we crashed. I had a nice nap for a few hours, and then Janna, Jessica, Kim and I decided to go explore Paris.

Thankfully Kim knows a little French, so thanks to her and all the maps, we found our way to the Arc De Triumphe. I was in awe the entire time. We walked around the streets of Paris for a few hours, rather aimlessly too. We had no idea where we were going.

We eventually decided we should find out where we were, so we started asking for people who spoke English. Many French people are rude, and they will flat out give you a nasty look and keep walking. We were so frustrated. Right when we all felt we were about to cry and be lost forever in Paris, out of nowhere two girls speaking English walked past us. We literally ran after them.

Turned out these girls were actually from Arizona on a tour similar to ours. We were so happy to find friends, so we stuck with them awhile. We went to the Louis Vuitton store—holy cow, 5 floors—and observed all the rich French. Then, of course, out of nowhere a huge clap of thunder sounded and rain came pouring down. And no exaggeration—it was pouring. The rain drops were huge! We decided to stay in Vuitton’s store while we waited for the rain to let up a bit (we did not mind that at all either).

Once it started to let up a little bit, we parted ways with the Arizona girls and ran off into the rain.

We were also starving at that point, so we decided to find food. Although euro’s exchange is cheaper then pounds, everything in France is expensive. After searching through cafés and restaurants, we finally gave up and found a McDonalds. And believe it or not, their McDonalds there are sooo good! Their burgers are like the ones you get at a sit down restaurant, but they have a dollar (or euro) menu and everything. They also put a different cheese on their cheeseburgers. It isn’t cheddar, it’s some sort of white cheese—but it is really good. Their ice cream is also thick and creamy, not the cheap watered down stuff we have. I got a kid’s menu, so I have some freaky toy. I thought it was a cool souvenir, but I have no idea what it is.

Something interesting, they don’t have Ronald McDonald as their symbol there. They have some burger-person thingy. I will have to show you, it’s all over my toy.

After that we all decided to wander down the streets and find a museum to go to. It had stopped raining by then, but we were all soaked and the paved sidewalks were really slick from the water. We kept sliding everywhere.

We finally found one museum—the National Gallery. And guess what the exhibit was….

MARIE ANTOINETTE!!

It was ah-ma-zing as well. It included all the paintings and statues of her, the furniture from her bedroom and summer cottage, some of her personal items (like her combs, nail kit, etc) and tons of other things. It was so cool. I just wish I could read French; all the signs were in French so I couldn’t read about any of the stuff. Thankfully their words are close enough that I could get the jist of it.

After the museum it decided to poor on us again. So, yet again, we found ourselves in another designer store. This time it was Gucci. It wasn’t quite as big as the Vuitton store, but it was still 3 floors. The whole time I couldn’t help but think, “I want my name to be that big one day…”

Once it let up enough to walk again, we ran for it to the nearest tube station. We were soaked, but I liked it. I didn’t get to shower the 3 days we were there, so I was hoping that would help a little. Course we just smelled like B.O. and fit right in with the French anyway.

When we got back to our cute little apartment (after quite an interesting time figuring out the metro), we were so tired we all crashed again. It was about 10 pm by then.

The next morning we didn’t wake up until 11 am—but it felt so good to get that sleep. I know I needed it. I did wake up with a huge back ache though. I couldn’t move until I did some very painful yoga stretches. This whole trip has been putting quite the strain on my back and shoulders. I am not kidding when I say I need a major massage when I get home.

Anyway, so, that day we decided to take the metro and get off my Notre Dame. That place is beautiful. We didn’t go inside because it cost about 20 euro’s, but I was just fine with that. Instead we did some shopping at the many stands on the streets.

Those shops are so much fun. They have artists selling their paintings, old books, clothes, all the usual souvenir items, and anything else you could think of. As I was gazing all the local artist’s prints, I saw one that really caught my eye. It was so unique and so beautiful, I couldn’t pass it up. I asked the artist how much, and he told me 25 euro. I only had 15 euro’s on me in cash, so I was really disappointed. But that cute little man must have seen how much I loved that print because he said in a very horrible French accent, “But for you, pretty lady, special price; now 15 euro because you love it.” I was so happy; I could have given him a big hug. The B.O. and last night’s alcohol on his breath is what stopped me from doing it. I have it all securely wrapped up, and I can’t wait to get home to frame it and show you how beautiful it is.

After we were happy with our shopping, we decided to walk along the… oh shoot… whatever that river is that runs through the middle of Paris (we called it the Ratatouille River the whole time—so just think of that movie) towards the Eiffel Tower. Now if you look at a map, the distance between Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower is about 6 miles. We could have taken the metro right to it, but we all agreed it would be more adventurous walking there.

It took us about 3 and half hours to walk that far, but it was worth it. The streets of Paris are gorgeous. On our way there we stopped at the Marche Duex Fluers (Walk of the Flowers or something). Remember back to old movies based in Paris when you see the actors walking amongst miles and miles of flower shops? That’s what Marche Duex Fluers is exactly. It was gorgeous, and so indescribably amazing to absorb French culture. I preferred the 6 mile walk; I will never forget that walk.

By this time it was 7pm, and I we were hungry. However, the French culture is very family oriented, so only little tourist shops and small food markets are open on Sundays. All other major stores are closed, and any café or restaurant close around 5 pm. So… we didn’t know what to do about food. We finally found a little grocery store that was open, so we bought Laughing Cow cheese, a loaf of bread, and a French pastry for each of us.

Once we got closer and closer to the Eiffel Tower I got so excited. I couldn’t believe it… I was going to actually see the Eiffel Tower in my lifetime. And then, lo and behold, there it was in all its glory in front of me. It was magnificent-and HUGE! And so incredibly romantic.

Around the 4 corners there are carnival games, food stands, etc. In the middle there is music playing and you can see couples dancing. On the benches around it are couples everywhere.

It’s crazy how an odd shaped tower is so amazing, but there is just something that is so romantic about it. I kept thinking about Paris When It Sizzles and other old movies the entire time I was there.

The best part about it, however, was when it got dark. As soon as the sun set, they turned on the lights. That was breath taking! The entire tower appeared as if it were sparkling. I just sat in awe. It almost seemed like it was a dream as I sat under the Eiffel Tower eating my dinner of bread and cheese.

We then found a metro station (at this point I had become an expert at it. Trust me; I am so proud of myself. I know how the French subway works!) and I found how we could get back home.

Once again we crashed. This time it was around 12 am when we got home. I was so tired after all the walking we did, but it was completely worth it.

The next morning we got everything packed up, and came back home to London.

It’s so funny, we just call London home now. I wish it were my home…

2 comments:

Clive said...

You know Paul could help you make London home. I think it’s funny how you can find your way around the Tube and the Metro but you can't find your way around SLC. It's to bad you didn't get to see Normandy. You will always remember experiences and it sounds like a few of these has changed you life. I am so proud of you.
Hey… I’ve been driving your car to work since you have been gone, thanks, but I had to take out the flowers and the pink poodle to many guys where picking up on me. I hope you don’t mind. I look forward to reading your blog everyday and living it with you. Love you sweet pea.

Anonymous said...

Thats really cool you got to see the Eiffel Tower! Love Bessie