CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May 20 - Bloody Sights





Picture 1 = Tower Bridge
Picture 2 = Us with our gross flan-stuff
Picture 3 = Diane showing how it wouldn't even come out of the pan
Too funny!
Good times at the Hostel Kitchen...


Today was a day full of bloody, gruesome… gross stuff. You know, the Towers of London.

It was so cool.

But before that we went to the Old Operating Theatre. For those of you who don’t know, that theatre has been around since Shakespeare’s time. In fact, that was his theatre and where he put on all of his plays for royalty and peasants alike.

It isn’t the actual theatre, it burned down twice I think. I’m not sure when the first time it burned, but the second time it burned was around 1610. It has been around ever since, however. The seats are tiny. People back then were so small. It was pretty cool though.

Some of the girls were bored, but for a self-proclaimed thespian, such as myself, I was in awe the entire time.

The gift shop was also amazing, but way over priced. I was too cheap to get anything.

After that we went to the Towers.

On our way there we crossed the London Bridge. It was so funny, at the exact same time Hillary, Kim, Janna, Jessica and I broke out into “London Bridge is falling down…!”. You can’t help but sing it though.

It was also freezing because we were right by the Thames River, and a cold breeze was blowing. That river is the dirtiest river I have ever seen. It stunk too.

To get to the towers we also crossed the Tower Bridge. Back in even the 1700’s they hung the heads of traitors on the top of the arcs. The bridge is so clean and white, it was hard to imagine the horrible things you would have seen crossing that bridge a couple hundred years ago.

The towers were pretty neat. The best part was our tour guide. They have the Yeoman of the Guard (beefeaters) be tour guides. Our guy was hilarious. I was laughing hysterically the entire time. He made the tour even better. I recorded him so you guys can see how funny he was.

Those towers were so eerie. Even more so then Westminster Abbey. Probably because here is where they kept prisoners, tortured people, and did thousands of beheadings. It was pretty creepy.

The Yeoman live there because their sole purpose is to protect the Crown Jewels. Our guard straight out told us there are many, many ghosts there. He told us there isn’t one day that goes by where you don’t see a ghost. Wouldn’t that be creepy!?

They had the armor of King Henry VIII (is that the 8th…?) as well. He was a big guy! And fat! And, oh my goodness, his cog piece (if you catch my drift…) made me laugh. In order to make himself look more “masculine” (you know, to boost his already huge ego) he had it exaggerated for his armor. …VERY exaggerated…

I guess that shows I am still immature because I just sat there laughing at it. But then again, everyone who walked by was snickering.

We then saw the Crown Jewels!!! I was drooling… every girl was drooling…

What was so amazing though was how old those crowns were. They had Edward the Confessor’s crown, Elizabeth I’s crown… It amazes me they still have them.

There is so much history here, and I love being surrounded in it.

Paris blog is also done. I made this one short—or tried to at least—because that one was a novel. I can guarantee you will enjoy reading it though.






Diane brought some flan home from France and tried to make it for us today. The instructions were french, so she just guessed. It turned out to be some weird, gross, hard concoction that tasted like eggs and powdered flan... grossness. It was so funny, we had a big laugh about it. I included pictures at the top. :)

Sweet dreams!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats surprising you tried something new! ;) That stuff Diane made sounds really gross... I'm glad your having fun! Love You a ton!
Bessie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're havin the time of your life up there! It's so cool! & I love the pictures! Keep em comin! I miss ya! Keep havin fun!